COVID-19 Update: Cranmore to suspend operations beginning March 16
March 15, 2020
We have been closely following developments related to COVID-19 and our top priority is the safety, health, and well-being of our employees and guests. In this fast moving and unprecedented situation, we have made the decision to suspend all resort operations beginning March 16 and will evaluate remaining season operations in the next seven days.
For guests with existing reservations:
If you have any ticket, lesson, rental and/or tubing & mountain adventure park reservations through April 5th you will be issued a full refund – which will be processed automatically.
We will extend any unused 2019-20 3Pack or 5Pack tickets through Winter 2020-21. Please bring these tickets directly to the ticket office upon arrival of your visit next winter, and they will be exchanged for a valid lift ticket on that day.
- We will extend any unused March 2020 3Pack tickets through Winter 2020-21. Please bring these tickets directly to the ticket office upon arrival of your visit next winter, and they will be exchanged for a valid lift ticket on that day.
Please contact our reservations team at 1-800-SUN-N-SKI or email us at [email protected] for updates. All refunds will be processed automatically with no action required. Please be advised that we expect a high volume of calls and emails and we appreciate your patience.
Thank you for your understanding and patience during this time.